While Facebook is the world's largest online social network with more than 1.2 billion users, did you know that it can be leveraged as a genealogy research "work horse" to help find your ancestors?
In this session you'll go beyond the basics of setting up a Facebook account and simply posting status updates or playing games. The class focus is on developing the following skill set for genealogy research:
- Using the Search function to locate living relatives and others researching your same surnames.
- Locating Facebook Groups and Pages related to your genealogy research, especially geographical locations and specific ethnic groups, as well as surname groups.
- Creating a Facebook Group to facilitate collaboration and participant interaction around a specific genealogy topic such as a Surname Group or a One Place Study Group.
- Creating a Facebook Page to advertise a genealogy society, an event and more.
- Understanding the difference between a Facebook Page and a Facebook Group and why you might use one instead of the other as well as when it is best to use both.
- Protecting your privacy and ensuring an enjoyable Facebook experience when researching genealogy.