What is a webinar?
Pronounced “web-uh-nahr” a webinar is a class that you view from your computer. You can hear the speaker and see their computer screen just as you would in a classroom setting. You are able to type in your questions, and sometimes you can ask your questions live, as long as you have access to a microphone or telephone.
What is the difference between a live webinar and a recorded webinar?
A live webinar is presented and viewed live, meaning, as the speaker presents their materials you see and hear the presentation as it is being delivered. Webinars are usually recorded, so if you are unable to attend the live session you can watch the session’s recording. You can only ask questions (via chat or voice) during a live webinar.
How do I register for a live webinar?
On the Upcoming Webinars
page click on the yellow “More Details and Registration” button, then click on the yellow “Register” button. Fill in your name, email address, and location, and click the “Register Now” button. You will then receive an email with instructions on how to join the live webinar.
How do I view a recorded webinar?
What equipment do I need to view a live webinar?
- Computer with high-speed Internet and speakers.
- If you want to ask a question verbally during the webinar, we recommend that you use a USB-powered headset, like the Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000.
- Make sure your computer’s Java is up to date. Click here to verify that you have the latest update.
- Test your connection here.
Can I ask questions during a live webinar?
Most of the time the chat area is available to live viewers to type in their questions. Since most webinars have 1,000 live viewers, not all questions will be answered. Sometimes the webinar’s moderator will turn on your ability to ask questions using your microphone or telephone.
Are there handouts I can download?
Most webinars do have a minimum of four pages of handouts which are available to members or on the webinar CDs.
What is the difference between buying a webinar CD, a digital download, or subscribing?
There is no difference in content. The difference lies in how you access the recordings. Members are able to view the webinars online, an Internet connection is required to view the recording. Digital downloads may be purchased individually – after purchasing you are given access to be able to download the file to view on your computer. An Internet connection is not needed to view the recording. Webinar CDs may also be purchased and may be viewed without an Internet connection.
Do you have tips for viewing a recorded webinar?
What time zone am I in?
What headset do you recommend for a live webinar?
Any USB-powered headset is good. We recommend the Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000
from Amazon. As long as you can hear sound from your computer’s speakers, you really do not need anything else, unless you want to ask a question over the air.
Can my genealogy society show a recorded webinar to their group?
We do grant permission for genealogy societies to show a recorded webinar to their group, but you need to get written permission from both us and the speaker. Contact us here
Can I share my webinar membership with someone else?
While we would love for everyone to have access to our membership area, its expenses are covered through the modest subscription fee. Please do not share your account information with others.
Can I test my computer’s connection to see if it will work for a live webinar?
How can I be eligible to win a door prize?
Door prizes are often available during the live webinars. You only need to be present during the door prize time to be eligible to win.
Will you present a webinar on the Legacy Family Tree software to my genealogy society?
Yes! We can present a webinar to your monthly membership meeting, a special membership meeting, or even as a private webinar to your society’s members in their homes. Contact Geoff Rasmussen
for more information.
Where do I learn more about the Legacy Family Tree software?
What is the duration of a live webinar? Will there be time for Q&A?
Most webinars are 90 minutes in length – 60 minutes of presentation time, a few minutes for door prizes and announcements, and any remaining time is used for the Question and Answer session.
Is there a fee to attend Legacy Family Tree webinars?
Most of our live webinars are free. Occasionally we have a live bonus webinar for our webinar subscribers. The recordings are also free for at least a week after the live webinar’s conclusion.
What if I registered for the webinar but cannot attend the live presentation?
You will receive an email the day following the live webinar with a link to view the webinar’s recording.
What time should I arrive for the webinar?
Since the webinar software we use (GoToWebinar from Citrix) only permits 1,000 live viewers, the virtual seats are filled on a first-come-first-served basis. Usually, joining the webinar 15-20 minutes prior to its start is good.
I cannot view the webinar's recording. I get a black screen. What should I do?
- First, make sure that you have installed the latest Flash player.
- If you still get a black screen, right-click on the video and select Settings. Uncheck the box that says "Enable hardware acceleration."
There doesn't seem to be a way to print or save the handouts. What should I do?
- First, make sure that you have installed the latest Adobe Reader software.
- If Print or Save buttons do not appear on the PDF as you hover your cursor over it, try right-clicking on the document and select the Save As or Print option.
- Since different web browsers handle PDF files differently, try using a different web browser to view the document. Browsers include Internet Explorer, Chrome, and Firefox.
I have a webinar membership and would like to update my billing information. What should I do?
- Go to https://legacy.familytreewebinars.com/customer_login.php
- Enter your email address and password and click the Login button.
- Click on the Customer Payment Info link at the top.
- Add the new credit card information and click on the "Add this credit card" button.
- Click on the "Apply to subscriptions" link next to the subscription you have.
- Delete any unwanted credit cards from the list.
I have a webinar membership and would like to update my user name and password. What should I do?
We do not sell your personal contact information to anyone. Period. The only communication as a result of registering for a webinar or purchasing a product from us is an occasional email with related genealogical information.
I did not receive the reminder email to join the live webinar. Can I still join?
Yes, since the reminder email is sent from the citrixonline.com or gotowebinar.com domain, please:
- make sure your email software has permitted the acceptance of emails from these domains
- make sure your Internet Service Provider has not black-listed these domains
- check your junk/spam folders
If you still do not receive the reminder email, you can:
- click the link in the confirmation email you received when you registered for the webinar
- visit the webinar's registration page at http://familytreewebinars.com/upcoming-webinars.php and click the blue Register button. Then fill in the information, and click the "Join Webinar in Progress" button.
- Contact Citrix at firstname.lastname@example.org and ask them to check their "Blocked Email filter" list to ensure your email address is not on it. When Citrix receives three undeliverable emails back from an email address their system automatically adds the email to this list, and therefore you will not receive the emails. Ask them to remove your email from this list.
How do I play the Digital Download that I purchased on my iPhone/iPad?
After downloading the Digital Download file (.mp4) that you purchased, you'll need to open iTunes and import the file into your home movies. Here's how:
Open itunes and click on the movie reel icon at the top left.
To get to home videos/movies in itunes it should be at the top of itunes (next to unwatched and playlists). If you do not see the Home videos/movies header at the top then you just do not have any in itunes yet. This will be created after you do the below step.
Once you have your itunes open and you are in the movies section just drag and drop your MP4 that you downloaded to this screen. If you do it right you should now see home videos at the top with the MP4 shown in the screen.
Now plug in your i-device and and you should see a symbol for your i-device at the top left. Click on this symbol and you should see all the facts about your i-device. On the left side you should see a movies header, just click this and you should see your MP4 webinar. Now just check the box next to the name of the MP4 and click sync at the bottom. Now it will sync this video to your i-device and you can now watch this video in the video app on your i-device.
If you have a PC, it's really easy. Just download the .mp4 and open it to view.